No matter our stage of life, learning new things is something we should and
can do. In today’s world, it is necessary not just to thrive…but to survive!!!
Learning helps us grow as individuals, whether it is expanding our views, values, or knowledge. Learning can be an ongoing journey or several one-time experiences. If you look around, there are always opportunities to grow and learn.
Here are quick tips on how to remain a
1) Try new things often: Do something out of your comfort zone at least once a month. It can be something as simple as driving a new way to work or visiting a different restaurant. New experiences and insight will provide you with additional perspectives.
2) Read!: Reading has always been one of the easiest ways to learn something new. Today, there are thousands of journals and online forums covering any topic imaginable. Read about a new subject once a week.
3) Surround yourself with people who are different from you: A life where every person agrees with you and shares the same viewpoint gets stagnant fast. Having different people around you can provide new viewpoints to develop you as an all-around person. You don’t have to agree. You simply can listen and reflect!
4) Always ask questions: It’s easy to sit back when you don’t fully understand something and pretend that you do. Stop! Push yourself to ask questions. People will not see this as being stupid but rather they will see it as being interested. Once you understand another’s perspective and/or learn the facts, you become better equipped to handle your own matters.
5) Become involved: Experiencing new communities or groups can help introduce you to new things. Book clubs, volunteer groups, or going to a public lecture at the local college can truly expand your horizons. You often don’t have to spend money to do this.
Putting yourself in situations to learn sets you up for added knowledge. Our brain is like any other muscle; it needs stimulation to stay healthy!